This is a form of a sea vegetable used for improved health and vigor. There are some people who eat this sea vegetable as it is, but one has to acquire the taste for it in order to appreciate how good it is for the human body. However, kelp is now being manufactured as a food supplement and it is marketed in tablet form.
Benefits for Bodybuilders
- Vitamins and minerals – bodybuilders engage in a physical activity that is very demanding to the human body. They lift weights that are too heavy and it can take a toll on their overall health. This sea vegetable is a rich source of vitamins and minerals needed by bodybuilders to keep healthy and recover from physical stress. To be specific, it has 46 minerals, 16 amino acids, and 11 vitamins.
- For the thyroid gland – it is known that seafood is good for the thyroid gland, and so is sea vegetable. It has iodine which regulates the function of the thyroid gland.
- For hydration – after too much sweating, the body loses many important nutrients, including electrolytes. This can make bodybuilders feel weak and lose concentration. This sea vegetable product can help combat dehydration by replacing the nutrients lost from too much physical activity.
- For weight management – since kelp is rich in iodine that regulates the thyroid gland, it has an effect on the energy level and metabolism of a person. If a person is deficient in iodine, it leads to lack of energy and decreased physical activities. If there is balance of hormones in the thyroid gland, it can boost the energy of a person and allows him to engage in rigorous physical activities. As a result, more body fat is lost and more muscle mass is gained. In addition, this sea vegetable can make a person feel full and satiated.
Some are marketed in dried form and it can be taken as a snack. It is healthy alternative to fat laden food in the market. It is filling yet low in calories.
- For body’s ph level – this food supplement is considered an alkaline food, thus, it maintains a healthy acid base balance in the body.
- As an anti-inflammatory – this sea vegetable contains fucoidan which is a sulfated polysaccharide. Now, this fucoidan rejects the production of nitric oxide and prostaglandin which are the causes of inflammation. The muscles of bodybuilders get inflamed because of the heaviness of gym equipments that they lift. By consuming this sea vegetable, it can lessen the amount of swelling and their muscles can recover quickly.
There are precautions to be followed before taking this food supplement. There are some individuals who are prone to an allergic reaction to seafood. It may cause itching, hives, and some gastro-intestinal problems. Those who use this for a long period of time may experience some arsenic poisoning due to the exposure of this sea vegetable to some water pollutants. Thus, always consult a professional for guidance.