Old Fashioned: Know Your Liquor & Drink Like a Man
Are you between the ages of 21 and 35? Here’s some bad news – your grandmother is a way better drinker that you are! You’re insulted right? It’s not about the quantity, but the quality of the old fashioned liquor. Yes, men nowadays have it easy when it comes to liquor.
Know Your Liquor: Real Drinks for Real Men
Now for the good news – the real men drinks are currently making a glorious comeback. The question is, how do you drink like a man? You might think that wine isn’t manly. No, that’s not the point. The thing is liquors are better than them.
A Drink for a True Man
Here is a list of tips that you may find useful:
- When mixing up drinks, use rye and not bourbon. Mixologists say that rye has more flavor than bourbon. Rye also has a little more of a zing. So, try to mix 2oz old fashioned rye and add demerara sugar or raw cane sugar. The sugar adds in a little more flavor.
- Bitters are good but orange bitters and angostura are better. Add to the rye mixture two dashes of orange bitters and two dashes of angostura.
- Never shake an old fashioned mix under all circumstances. Just stir it round the glassware with a stirrer. It’s another way to enhance flavors within the mix.
- Garnish with lemon and orange peel.
How to Drink Like a Man
So, you already have an old fashioned drink. Now, let’s talk about how to drink like a man. Because you said that you are a man, you have to know and be mindful of the fact that you are what you do, and you’ll take responsibilities on all of your actions. Now, drinking like a man is drinking responsibly. The ones that go out of the bar whining, vomiting, helpless and useless is no man for a woman. So, here are some tips to drink like a man.
- Order the right drink, right amount at the right place and right time. It’s easy! Never be a fool to order a lot when you know that you cannot do it. Drink moderately, as they say. Never allow the drink to go to your head, or else you are a dead man.
- If you are not familiar with the drinks, try chatting with the bartender on which drink will fit your taste and tell him your preferences.
- Ask for the price. You don’t want to get broke, or kicked out of a bar because you don’t have enough money to buy an old fashioned drink.
- Think about the season and the geography if you are just visiting a place. Do as the Romans do!
Above all, alcohol is not really needed by your body every hour of your life. Drink occasionally so you get the best taste of it. Never think of the liquor as your friend because they aren’t. Lastly, never go to the bar when you know that your money isn’t enough. A real man pays for his drinks.