St. Johns Wort is an herbal plant known to treat depression and other psychological mood disorders such as anxiety disorders and panic attacks. Oil can be extracted from this herb and it can be applied topically to the skin to treat sunburn and muscle spasms due to physical exhaustion. St. John’s Wort is known to interact with other medicines like contraceptive pills as it diminishes the efficacy. In some countries liked France, it is banned from being sold because of its drug interactions.
St. Johns Wort – Uses
- To treat depression – the main reason why this herb is prescribed is to cure depression. The extract derived from this herb is known to increase the serotonin levels of those who suffer from depression. It can be used in conjunction with other medicines to treat the chemical imbalance in the brain of a depressed individual. However, it cannot be used for a long period of time for it causes drug interactions.
- For bodybuilders – this food supplement helps bodybuilders gain more muscle mass because it allows neurotransmitters to work doubly hard. These neurotransmitters send signals to the muscles to give more energy for a physically-demanding exercise. As a result, bodybuilders can extend the number of training hours.
- Cure for overtraining syndrome – bodybuilders spend hours and hours exercising. Their goal is to increase body mass and make new muscles grow. They need to train doubly hard and the kinds of exercises they perform are very demanding on their health. As a result, they may experience fatigue and lack of focus and concentration.
This herb can help alleviate the symptoms of the overtraining syndrome. The amino acid tyrosine which is found in this herb can increase the number of neurotransmitters to work longer. Therefore, the longer you work in the gym, the more gains you can have.
Also, one of the many symptoms of overtraining syndrome is depression. Once the body reaches the point of exhaustion, it is normal for people to feel low emotionally and mentally. If you begin to feel depressed, you will lose your desire to train and reach you goals. St. John’s Wort can help bodybuilders not only in terms of prolonging their energy level, but in terms of feeling good in spite of physical stress.
- For chronic pain – it can also help ease the muscle pain associated with physical exertion. The oil extracted from this plant is believed to soothe tired and aching muscles.
- Wards off diseases – it also helps the immunity level of bodybuilders. It can protect them from the common colds and flu.
Though this food supplement has many benefits, it is also known to produce a number of drug interactions. Always consult a medical doctor before taking anything, even if it is an herbal preparation.
For those who are undergoing treatment for mood disorders, though it can be used together with this herb, the length of time it can be used is crucial. Those who have liver issues should also be under the guidance of a medical doctor.