A diet made popular through publishing of books by the biochemist, Barry Sears, the Zone diet is a process that can stop the development of high blood pressure and heart disease. With its different rules regarding good nutrition, this diet is one that provides information for a better look at how it affects the bodies of both men and women.
What Is The Zone Diet?
The reason why people gain weight is because of something called cellular inflammation. It happens in both men and women, and is caused solely by a person’s diet, and hence, it can only be reversed by a different, nutrition rich diet.
The Zone diet was created to help combat that. It consists of a simple process: weighing the amount and type of nutrition on your plate for every meal. While the process itself is simple, the actual execution of it is what most men and women find difficult.
How Does It Work?
The Zone diet focuses mainly on controlling the process that makes you gain weight; that is, the inflammation of your cells. As the factor that controls every process in your body is your hormones, the diet aims at weight loss by monitoring your hormones themselves.
This works by the regulating amount of food and what type you consume. You do this by:
- Dividing your plate into three portions.
- One third of the plate must contain low-fat protein.
- Two thirds of the plate must contain colourful carbohydrates, both fruits and vegetables.
- A final ingredient is a small amount of fat, such as olive oil, which provides the needed omega-6 and other fatty substances.
If constructed right, the nutrition found on your plate will prevent you from feeling hunger for the next five hours or so. Some of the problems that people often encounter with this method are:
- The avoidance of what many consider to be staple food, i.e. bread, rice, potatoes.
- Maintaining the method for extended periods of time. Doing otherwise will result in your hormones becoming unbalanced once again, resulting in an increase in cellular inflammation.
- The process of reworking your metabolism and gaining control over your hormones take time, even with naturally good health and a perfectly balanced intake of nutrition.
As men and women differ in their size, health and fitness, there are different “blocks” for each standard type. In other words, people of different statures and health levels are required to eat certain amounts of the right food. These blocks are the different amounts of protein, carbohydrates and fats that a person requires.
Another factor in the regulation of your hormones’ health and production is the regulation of your eating. The Zone diet encourages snacks of certain amounts in-between meals, thereby making sure that your metabolism always has something to burn and make use of.
Who Is It For?
The Zone diet is for both men and women who wish to lose weight and regulate the overall health of their body. Though it does not give much description when it comes to exercise, it is best to add that to your routine as it will help give your body proper conditioning. Simply adjust your meals to help fund the fats that your body will burn.