If you are always on the go and you are searching for a recipe that will be finished cooking in less than an hour, then try this chicken cacciatore recipe. Even if you have very limited skills in the kitchen, you will find out that this Italian dish is fairly easy to follow and the taste is something that you will remember because it is packed with so many layers of flavors.
It is also referred to as chicken hunter style because back in the olden days, chickens were hunted just like mushrooms in the wild. But now, ingredients are readily available in the market. Use the dark meat portion of the chicken (thighs and legs) for a more flavorful dish.
- Dark meat chicken
- Fresh mushrooms (any kind), chopped
- Garlic, chopped
- Onion, roughly chopped
- Marinara sauce
- Fresh thyme and rosemary
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly-cracked pepper
Procedure for the chicken cacciatore recipe:
1) Heat the light olive oil in a pan. Sauté garlic, onion, and the mushrooms. When cleaning the mushrooms, do not wash them with water; otherwise, they will turn very soggy. All you have to do is use a small soft brush and just lightly brush the mushroom to remove any dirt.
2) While sautéing, add a little salt. Do not put in too much salt so as not to release the water from the fresh mushrooms. Add the olives, pepper, and some fresh rosemary. You can add more oil along the way, and then add in the fresh thyme. You can also use bottled herbs but add more because the flavor is not as intense as compared to the fresh herbs.
3) The next step in cooking this chicken cacciatore recipe is to fry the chicken in hot oil. But first, coat the chicken with flour. The flour will act as a thickening agent, thus making the sauce thick.
4) Sear the chicken in hot oil until the skin becomes vey crispy.
5) Once crispy, transfer the chicken to the other pan where you are sautéing the veggies. Then add some white wine and the marinara sauce. Cover the pan and allow to cook for twenty minutes. Afterwards, you are ready to serve your chicken cacciatore recipe. This recipe is best eaten with steamed rice and some veggies on the side. Pair it with a good bottle of white wine.
6) When choosing a wine for cooking, always remember that if the wine is appealing for drinking, then you can use that for cooking, as well. Do not choose a wine that is too bitter or your dish will not turn out good. For the marinara sauce, if you have no time to prepare one, then you can always buy a bottle from the grocery and you can adjust the taste by adding some herbs for a tastier marinara sauce.
Now you know how fast and easy this chicken cacciatore recipe is. You can start impressing your wife or your girlfriend with this recipe and show her that a man can also be good in the kitchen.