If you crave a sweet start to the morning you’re probably often trying to fight the urge to eat an entire box of children’s cereal and eat some sensible eggs instead. But with these baked banana bread donuts you can feed your sweet tooth and also fuel yourself up for the day. This recipe is made with whole wheat and has no processed sugar. It’s also made with bananas, which are full of health benefits including regulating the blood sugar, boosting the mood, and giving you an antioxidant boost. The recipe is pretty easy and will only take about 30 minutes from start to finish.
Cooking spray for the pan
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed up
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup agave syrup (or maple syrup)
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped up
1. Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees F. Take your cooking spray and coat a doughnut pan with it. If you do not have a donut pan, these donuts can be made in a bundt pan or a muffin tin. Of course this will change their shape, but it’s really up to you how you want the final product to look.
2. Take a large bowl and whisk together the whole wheat flour, salt, and baking soda.
3. In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, mashed up bananas, yogurt, egg, agave, and vanilla. This should be mixed together until everything gets smooth.
4. Next take this wet mixture in the medium sized bowl and pour it into the large bowl with the dry mixture. Combine all of the ingredients.
5. Next pour the combined mixture into a pastry bag, or a large resealable plastic bag if you don’t have a pastry bag. In that case you will have to cut off one of the corners to make the bag function like a pastry bag. Squeeze the batter equally into whichever type of cooking pan you are using. (If you’re using the donut tin make sure that each section is about 3/4 of the way full. Then you’ll top the mixture with the walnut pieces so they are sitting on the top.
6. Time to cook! These donuts should take somewhere around 15 minutes to cook through, and they should begin to look golden. When they are done cooking allow them to cool in their pan for a few minutes before placing them on a wire rack.
Naturally the cooking times may vary depending on which pan you use and the oven you’re using as well, so keep an eye on them. They should start to get springy to the touch when they’re done. Whatever you don’t eat can easily be frozen and thawed at a later date. If you want an extra bonus of goodness with your baked banana bread donuts, you can smear a bit of peanut butter on top. This will bring out the nutty flavors that are already in the donut, as well as make it more filling for a meal.