Everyone can benefit from taking a food supplement that has the capacity to lower cholesterol. Athletes, including bodybuilders, need to maintain their physical condition in tiptop form. They need extra vitamins and minerals, plus other nutrients to cleanse their bodies and deliver the nutrients effectively all over their system. Psyllium is a nutritional support for bodybuilders because it is loaded with fiber for colon cleansing.
The ingredients come from the seeds of Plantago ovata. It is mainly used as a laxative. It is very rich in fiber which serves as a host for good bacteria to thrive in the stomach lining and remove all the toxins. A clean colon means a healthy blood stream.
- For the heart – this one is also good for the heart. It has been established that it cures hypercholesterolemia. If a bodybuilder has a low level of cholesterol, it means that he is not at risk for heart disease and stroke. This plant is rich in low soluble fiber which is the reason why it has cholesterol lowering properties. It has the capacity to increase the HDL or the good cholesterol and lower the LDL or bad cholesterol.
- For digestion – those who suffer from diarrhea can benefit from this plant. The husks that come from the seeds have water absorbing properties. This can make the stool firmer because once it combines with water; it can form into a thick mass in the digestive organ. It is this thick mass that contains soluble fiber that is responsible for maintaining a healthy environment in the digestive system. At the same time, it can also cure constipation, since it is primarily fiber. In effect, it can assist bodybuilders to maintain a healthy digestive system. It is important because it will avoid dehydration caused by diarrhea.
- For colon cancer – a diet that is rich in fiber can deter colon cancer. This is because all the unhealthy organisms in the digestive system are properly excreted from the body.
- For the prevention of type 2 diabetes – a food supplement that is rich in fiber can lower the insulin level of a person.
- For weight loss – bodybuilders need to maintain an ideal weight. They may not necessarily need to lose weight but they need to constantly monitor their weight gain. Since their exercise regimen is very vigorous, they may have the tendency to overeat after each exercise session. To avoid doing so, psyllium can make them feel full after eating just enough food for replenishment. The husk of this plant when taken thirty minutes prior to meal time, will expand in their stomach and it will give them a ‘full feeling’, thus avoiding eating too much.
Precautions must be taken when taking this herbal preparation. Though there are no reports of major side effects, it is still advisable to ask the opinion of professionals. It may cause some allergies to some people and those who have some swallowing problems are advised against taking this food supplement. Diabetics should also monitor their glucose level constantly.